Friday, May 2, 2008

Magic Mountain Double Ride Days - How about the New Colossus?

Time to head north of the Disneyland (or about 2 gallons north of Hollywood) to Six Flags Magic Mountain in Valencia.

Its Double Ride Days, you get to stay on the ride and go around again! I wonder how you got one of these? This card is large at 8 ½ by 3 inches. It’s also made of thick plastic; it won’t tear, wrinkle or fade. They must have re-used these?





I think I’ll use this on the New Colossus! As soon as Six Flags took over Magic Mountain (in 1979 for 51 million dollars!) they “fixed” Colossus. I rode Colossus before and after the changes done in these photos. In my humble opinion, it was much better before. It was more terrifying and thrilling, I recall getting lifted out of my seat and having to hold on or else. Come to think of it, I can see why they changed it.





Looks fun still, of course they are not showing the hills they cut way down, the ones where you had to hold on for your life!





In this photo, if you look behind and to the right of Valerie Bertinelli in the front row, you can see the lower section of the tracks, those “humps” used to be much more dramatic. The wizard looks confused, maybe it’s Eddie Van Halen in there?





And because these post really needs some color, here is a nice post card of the kids area from 1986.





I hear lots of good things about Magic Mountain these days, they really are trying to clean the place up and make it friendly again. I will be going to the “Mountain” in a couple weeks, I’ll be sure to update you on its progress and the Magic Mountain Museum they put up in the Sky Tower!!!

3 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

I talk to friends who say, "Why would I want to go to a park full of gang bangers?". It may or may not be true, but that's the reputation anyway, and I've heard it from more than a few people. I'll be very curious to hear about your upcoming visit!

outsidetheberm said...

They've put a museum in the Sky Tower??? Okay, it's time for another visit...

walterworld said...

I too am curious as to the changes you mention. A museum in the Sky Tower? That should be cool. I had heard that the Sky Tower had been closed for quite awhile...

Have fun---