Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Vacationland U.S.A. 1970 - Part 1

Today’s post is real treat from the National Geographic Society. Vacationland U.S.A. was published in 1970 and has 424 dazzling pages of pure America. If you’ve never seen this book you should find yourself a copy. In 1970 this book retailed for $9.95 (plus postage).





Here’s the book without its dust cover, those symbols make me wish it was 1970 again and we could just start the last 41 years over, anyone else?





This eight page tribute to Disneyland has some stunning photos. Interestingly, a post of mine back from April 2008 featuring the August 1963 issue of National Geographic Magazine is consistently the most viewed post I’ve done; it’s had 187 hits just today! Check it out here if you haven’t seen it, it’s a super look at Disneyland circa 1963 (link).
















WOW, I love this photo – I want to step right in and get in line.




Come back tomorrow for the second half of the article, no more Disneyland, its mostly Universal Studios but some cool photos as well.

2 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

I remember my school library had a copy of this book, and the entire Disneyland article had been cut out of it with a razor blade. Love the night shot of Tomorrowland, what a beauty! Can't wait to see Universal Studios circa 1970.

TokyoMagic! said...

Wow, I wish I could step into every single one of those pics! This is my favorite time period for the park....between 1970 and 1972 (because Mansion is open and Carousel of Progress hasn't closed yet). Someone PLEASE hurry up with that time machine!!!