Friday, February 25, 2011

Circus Fantasy is back at Disneyland - February 27, 1988

Circus Fantasy is back at Disneyland! 1986 (link) and 1987 (link) wasn’t enough Circus fun; the park did it again in 1988.





$21.50 seems like a lot of money in 1988 dollars, of course $76 is a lot of money in 2011 dollars!




Here’s one of those $21.50 tickets, Goofy gets to hold up the “one”.







I must have totally avoided this promotion and I can see why; Clown Pictures, Clown Alley, the infamous Globe of Death at the center hub, Circusopolis? This sounds like a train wreck.





There’s Bear County just before the critters invaded.





In the 1980’s we would “Blast to the Past” 30 years to the 1950’s. So are we ready to “Blast to the Past” to the 1980’s? I didn’t think so.





What’s an Oldsmobile? Star Tours is only one year old – I’m going to try and get in on the premier of Star Tours 2.0 in May, I’m wondering if it will draw more of a crowd than EO’s return, I’m guessing it will.








Just in case you haven’t had enough Circus Fantasy ’88 here’s a fact card with more details.






3 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

According to one inflation calculator, $21.50 would be about $40 in today's dollars.

When you mentioned the thing about "Blast to the Past", it reminded me of something that I heard about "American Graffiti": it came out in 1973, and the movie took place in the early 60's (pre-Kennedy assasination, anyway), so even though it created a sort of 1950's mania ("Happy Days"), it basically portrayed a fictional day from only 10 years earlier.

So, that would be like making a movie about the crazy, simpler, nostalgic days of the late 1990's!

TokyoMagic! said...

Too many clowns for my taste. Maybe that's why I also avoided it for all three years.

The word verification right now is mersa......eeeewwwww!

Katella Gate said...

I was to a circus once or twice in my life and that was enough. The concept worked in the 1870s for farmboys who'd never been to Kansas City, but the animal acts, clowns, acrobats and carny rides just have a creeky old vibe.

I certainly wouldn't go to Disneyland to see last century's entertainment. Walt learned that lesson the hard way.