Friday, June 13, 2008

200th Post - Castle and Star Paper Madness


Today marks the 200th post on this blog. Wow, it’s been a blast so far. I have learned a great deal about tickets and all kind of great things that are “Disneyland”. My stated reason for starting the blog was to share all the tickets and learn more about the Disneyland Ticket history and it’s all going along great! A big thank you goes out to everyone who has shared all their wonderful memories and facts with me.

The best part about starting this blog was totally unexpected however and that was meeting the nicest bunch of people I have ever had the privilege to deal with. All of my linked bloggers and everyone who has ever contacted me regarding this blog has been nothing but warm, friendly and kind, bless you all.

Now with that out of the way, let’s get to this post! Since it feels like a birthday, let’s do something I really like, Castle and Star Paper! I love Globe paper, it will always be my #1, but I have this “mistress” so to speak, I don’t see her much since she is so rare having only been minted for a short time. I don’t have exact dates, but I have seen this paper from mid 1966 thru 1968, although the 1968 ones are mixed in books with mostly Globe tickets.

This first Castle and Star jewel is from a 5 Adventure Courtesy Guest book dated October 1966. Not many open attractions in Tomorrowland, and no Pirates, not just yet.






This is one of my favorites of the Castle and Star Tickets; again from October 1966 this “Magic Key Coupon” is from a 10 Adventure “Magic Key Book” for Magic Kingdom Club members. My “Upcoming” Magic Kingdom Club post series has been “upcoming” for a while now, consider it the Haunted Mansion of promised posts, it will come, just not in 1963!






This is the welcome message in the booklet from the Magic Key Coupon above, since this is from October 1966, this “winter” batch of tickets would be the last to have Walt Disney’s stylized signature on the little blue welcome message. On the summer of 1967 tickets it was replaced by “Walt Disney Productions” in a basic font, they should have left it alone.






An “A” ticket from a “Magic-Pak” ticket book. These were a fun promotional series for kids and juniors. I have a bunch more and it will be a future post. This “A” ticket however, is the only Castle and Star Magic-Pak ticket I have. I believe the series ran from the early 1960’s thru the early 1970’s, maybe not that long.






Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln, about ½ the ticket books that that I have collected from books of these years still have the Mr. Lincoln Ticket in them, most are Globe paper however.






How about a Guided Tour? This is just the middle part of the ticket, it's missing the admission ticket on the right and an extra attraction ticket on the left. Still fun to look at and imagine what the tour in 1967 was like…






A great Adventure thru Inner Space ticket. I finally read somewhere (Nickel Tour?) about the reason for these tickets. It was designed so that kids (teens really) would not ride this free attraction (or Tunnel of love) endlessly all day! By 1968, kids and juniors were free for one ride only. I guess adults could ride endlessly all day, sweet!






Now, last up is a mint May 1967 Complete and unused Castle and Star paper ticket book. I was able to scan the front which has this great Main Gate admission ticket.






I am apprehensive about folding back the tickets to scan them since this book is 41 years old, so you are going to get photos of each ticket. Sorry about the weird angle, it was the only way to get the flash to work correctly. These are just beautiful.










Four dollars and 50 cents got you a grand day at Disneyland in 1967. Today, one gallon of regular unleaded.





Thanks again to everyone for your support and interest in this blog. There’s lots more still in the vault. I do hope you enjoy all the “filler” between the ticket posts, you can never have too many Vacationlands or Guide Books or Magazine article or who knows what! The blog kind of expanded on it own, I think it was a way of prolonging its lifespan.

10 comments:

Princess Fee said...

Long time reader, first time poster. Congratulations on reaching 200 - and here's to 200 more!

Major Pepperidge said...

CONGRATS on #200! When you started I thought, "How much can somebody blog about tickets?", but you have done it in a great way - - along with other interesting goodies. And it has increased my appreciation of the tickets by a lot. I wish there was some way I could save all of your year-by-year info easily, since I am way to lazy to figure it out myself!!

The "castle and stars" paper is great, I have a few mint books with it - - and one that has it AND regular Globe paper in the same book.

Unknown said...

Congrats!

You have really added so much to the Disney blog-o-sphere over the past 200 posts.

I am looking forward to more amazing posts.

outsidetheberm said...

Congratulations!

And we have to agree with Major - we wish we could catalog your knowledge of these tickets. Your expertise is most appreciated. If you put it all in book form, we'll be first in line to purchase!

Thanks again.

The Viewliner Limited said...

Well here you go Tim, 200th already. How time flies when your having fun! Its been a great trip so far. I truly appreciate all the effort and time it takes to put all this together. Thanks again my friend. Looking forward to many, many more. Richard.

jedblau said...

Congrats!!! Wonder if I'll get to 200. Maybe by 2011. Way to go; I love your posts, as always.

Dave said...

Thanks for sharing so much with us, it's always great stuff and much appreciated. Looking forward to the next 200!

walterworld said...

That 1967 mint condition ticket book is indeed a thing of beauty. I can understand your reluctance to do any damage to such a special find.

Thanks for sharing your amazing collection... And here's to your next 200 posts!

Matterhorn1959 said...

Wow- 200 posts already! Congratulations on the hard work and thanks for the knowledge and some items you have shown that I did not know about.

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Thanks everyone! I really enjoy doing the blog and meeting all of you great people. It sure is fun to relive Disneyland thru these items and the amazing images and items on the other blogs. I hope my blog brings you some smiles & warm memories; you can’t ever have enough of those. Thanks again everyone!