Monday, January 14, 2008

Skyway to Fantasyland - One Way Ticket

This is the first post where we will examine the "stub" style of Vintage Disneyland Tickets. These tickets are like the old movie theater tickets. Measuring a nice and neat 2" by 1". The big hole in it is so it can feed through the ticket dispenser.

These were used for a couple of reasons. (1) Some are so old they pre-date October 1955 when the first ticket books went on sale (link), therefore each ride had to have its own tickets. (2) Guests that purchased General Admission tickets or guests that ran out of tickets from the ticket books still wanted to enjoy some attractions so they needed a ticket.

These type of tickets were printed for specific rides (like today's post) and also for lettered attractions (Printed A thru E, I have a few to post later). This style was also used for General admission tickets and other "special" tickets. These were sold directly at attractions that had their own ticket booths (Matterhorn, Train Stations) and at the main ticket booths in each realm. I do not believe this style of ride and A-E tickets were sold at the Main Gate, anyone know?

Today you are looking at a "Skyway to Fantasyland" Ticket. 35 cents please. I would date this in the early 1960's based on the "D" ticket price in the ticket book (link), however, the ticket price on these "standby" tickets is sometimes a little higher than the tickets from the book. You should have listened to the little message on the tram about the value of ticket books! This ticket is in nice condition except for a staple holes someone put in it!

Because these were always bought in the park and with the intent to use it within seconds, not many remain. They are the rarest of Vintage Disneyland Tickets. As much as I treasure this ticket, I would give it up in 1/2 a second to RIDE the Skyway once again. Can you hear me Jay, Tony, Ed, anyone, Walt?


Weird message (warning) on the back, this isn't on the tickets from the ticket books. I think maybe this is a standard "Globe Ticket Co." message that is on all their ticket stock.

Here is a picture I took in January 25, 2007 of the ticket display Disneyland had in the waiting area of the Opera house. Wow are these nice, look at those low serial numbers!!!!! They are killing me! Wait, did you notice my ticket above is a low number also? Sweet!

We'll visit these types of tickets again soon. I don't have a lot of them, but I have some good ones. And I have an AMAZING source of scans and information on every type of these tickets Disneyland sold, so we'll have plenty to look at.

5 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

Something tells me that low serial numbers are not especially meaningful (based on zero evidence). Or are they? Imagine how many giant rolls of these tickets that must have been gone through! I wonder if they all started at #1 and worked their way up to 1000 (or whatever)? I have about a dozen of these individual tickets, including Rainbow Caverns, 20,000 Leagues, and the Pack Mules.

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Hi Major! You might be right about the low serial numbers on these little tickets being not so important. I bet they did "reset" at some point, but based on these samples, you could go to 999,999. That's alot of tickets. Also maybe each booth got its own set of numbers?

Speaking of tickets, YOU HAVE SOME OF THESE???? When you have time could you PLEASE scan them and email to: Rushrules9999@hotmail.com

THANKS!!!!!!!

Major Pepperidge said...

Hi, I actually mean to scan some of my tickets last weekend, but I got sidetracked. Hopefully I will have time this coming weekend.

By the way, I have quite a few vintage ticket books, but they are complete and fairly "minty", and I am not sure how to scan or photograph them without stressing those perforated tickets. Maybe I'm being too anal about it!

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Hi Major, I am just like you about scanning the tickets. On my first post, I only scanned the front an the back, no way I am gonna fold those babies! So if you just scan front and back that would be great (oh, let me know the date code though).

No hurry, in your spare time would be great (who has that?) Just knowing you have them makes me feel good, I know they are in safe hands!

Thanks!

Mike Clifford said...

Hi!
I know this is responding to your 13 year old post, but I was looking through my Disneyland stuff I've collected over the years and I have a stub like yours pictured.
However, my stub is one way to Tomorrowland. The exciting thing is it's number is 000011!
I agree with your comment above that the number would potentially come up to 999,999 so I don't think they would have re-set the number. Not much point to a number system if they're just going to re-set them. And I also agree with your assessment about its rarity. Why buy a point of sale ticket and not go on the attraction? But whoever did that, I really thank them!! :)

Cheers!