Thursday, June 16, 2011

Grad Nite - 1972 Revistied

Its June 16 so its must be Grad Nite '72 at Disneyland - Groovy baby!




In 1968 mini-skirts were not allowed (link) but in 1972 there are "appropriate attire"? As always, Hold Your Own Ticket!





Looks like you could make easy payments on your Grad Nite '72 Ticket. Why was this $9 ticket $10?




The Grad Nite Photo return card is upside down or the serial number is upside down.






This Grad Nite 1972 program was posted here on the blog back in June 2009 and is another great donation from “Stuff from the Park” – Thank you Mattherhorn!

They lifted parts of this drawing from the Grad Nite ’71 Program cover (link), the ’72 version is condensed and has some changes (try and spot them all) but the same “Grads” are riding the bus in ’71 & ’72!









All that Roaring ‘20’s Jazz”, did Knott’s see this? The Sound Castle, Ltd. is still a Grad Nite favorite. Is that Helen Reddy? This being June 14, 1972 I’d say she is two seconds away from major fame, Wikipedia has this to say about Helen in 1972: “The single (I am woman) actually barely dented the charts on its initial release in the summer of 1972, but it wasn't long before female listeners adopted the song as an anthem and began requesting it from their local radio stations in droves, spurring it on to re-enter the charts in September and become a hit. "I Am Woman" earned a Grammy Award for Female Pop Vocal Performance and at the awards ceremony she concluded her acceptance speech by famously thanking God "because She makes everything possible"."




Smokey and the Miracles, good times indeed. The Grass Roots and some other folks rounded out an amazing Nite of entertainment.




Is your High School on the list?




There’s that fun bus again, check out the guy sleeping in the first row!





11 comments:

TokyoMagic! said...

Looks like Helen is wearing a crocheted or knitted top of some sort....or maybe it's macrame? Gotta love the seventies!

Anonymous said...

On the "autographs" page, it would appear that the sun is getting high off the fumes from the bus! Ah, the '70s.

Connie Moreno said...

That was GREAT! I wish I could see pictures of the 1974 Grad Nite program. I have nothing from my Grad Nite, other than the pinback button that was on a Pooh Bear I bought that night. Pooh is long gone but I cherish that 1974 button!

Jason Schultz said...

I'm sure you'll want to stay in 1972... The "E" Ticket #4 (Winter 1987-1988): On June 16, 1982, the
Disneyland ticket book ceased to exist.

Major Pepperidge said...

Oh, that Helen Reddy! She has a Jane Fonda ("Klute" era) hairdo. Smokey and the Miracles, pretty cool!

Anonymous said...

Yes indeed, Costa Mesa Mustangs were represented that night. I was probably working Jungle Cruise too not even aware of it. Long time gone.

Anonymous said...

And yes, that IS Helen Reddy.

Nebr54 said...

I don't think all the schools are on this list. there was a Monte vista from Southern Cal and a Monte vista from Northern Cal. What happened to them? Anyway, that was one of the best nights of my teens.

Terry Tyson said...

I recall that The Pointer Sisters, all four of them, opened for Smokey and The Miracles. Ramona High School, Riverside, CA.

Oh yeah, Smokey and gang wore gold lame hot pants during their show.

Anonymous said...

My High School is not listed, Rancho Cotate (from Rohnert Park, CA). What an incredible night! I remember seeing and dancing to the Grassroots there! We stayed up all night, and then on the LONG bus ride home. It was close to my birthday, so my friends got me a stuffed Winnie the Pooh bear. So memorable.

Pattie said...

I was going through some old folders and found a program or flyer from 1972. I went just a few hours after graduating from Taft High (Woodland Hills) so that would had been on a Friday night. The info said Stevie Wonder and Helen Reddy performed, but I don't remember hearing any music.

I was back on the bus, tired (our graduation rehearsal started at 7am that morning and lasted past noon) by 2am and found many other classmates sacked out there.

My daughter's grad night was in 2015 at Cal. Adventure, started much earlier in the day (their bus returned to Granada Hills around 2am) and cost most than $120.