Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Disneyland's "Happiest Show On Earth"

Today’s post is a neat little flyer/brochure/fold-up thing. At about the size of a business card when folded, this 8 panel flyer is chalk full of information. It’s not dated, I would place it around 1963, but Progressland can tell us for certain.

Although this part looks like a ticket, its not, since all this amazing entertainment is included with your admission to the park.






One Million dollars worth of entertainment, wow!






A pretty amazing line up. I love the art work!






Since the Yachtsmen are playing in Tomorrowland and this post needs some color, here is a great photo from 1965. Thanks Dave! (Daveland Blog link).






And there’s a Big Night Time Show too! “Frontierland Nite” square dancing every Tuesday. "Allemande Left with your left hand. - Back to the partner for a Right and Left Grand – now Promenade".






And “Don’t Forget Date Nite”. On a previous post (link) you can see a Date Nite Ticket book and ticket.


6 comments:

Jason Schultz said...

Lots of great nomenclature here! I don't recall seeing advertisements for the "Happiest Show on Earth" (which sounds like it was the name of their summer entertainment program). 1963's a bit too late for this, though. It has to be from the summer of 1959, 1960, or 1961. (The opening of the Matterhorn and the closure of the "Pavilion Lanai" (or "Pavillion Lanai," depending on where on the brochure you look) and the Plantation House place bounds.) Given that the 1960 summer advertisements and press made a big point about the characters, I'd peg it as 1960. And, now that I think about it, I believe that Disneyland logo was in use in 1960.

The Viewliner Limited said...

Great historical reference piece Tim. It definitely is no later than 1961. The Plantation House closed on January 8th, 1962.

outsidetheberm said...

Now the next question... who's got a photograph of the Pirate Trio - those three cute lasses at the Pirate's Cove in Fantasyland?

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Wow Progressland, you have a ton of info. Gee, if I have a “Disneyland Compendium” I could have looked that info up all on my own. Hey, here’s an idea, why don’t you write a Compendium on Disneyland??? LOL

Thanks Viewliner, I was wondering when the Plantation closed. I wonder why it closed in 1962 since New Orleans Square didn’t open until 1966?

I’d love to see a photo of the “Pirate Trio” anyone?????

Jason Schultz said...

A minor quibble, to be sure, but I maintain that the Plantation House closed January 7, 1962. Why? Well, January 8 is the date given in Disney A-Z (and what I had on my timeline), but Dave Smith has also told me that they use the last operating date as the closure date. As Disneyland was closed on Monday, January 8, 1962, January 7 should be the restaurant's closing date.

Tim, the Plantation House closed because of Haunted Mansion construction, which we know they started before they really knew what they were doing!

Dave said...

That's a great piece, and shows just how much creativity and attention to detail Disney applied to even the little things. And I've always loved that early 60's alternate logo!