Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Magic Mountain Press Photo - August 1972

Magic Mountain was just one year old in this press photo from August 1972. Up front is the wonderful "El Bumbo" gas-burning self propelled bumper-boats, it seems like it would be a lot more fun that it was. Have I mentioned the smell?

Up on the monorail beam would be the Metro Monorail. Faithful blog readers know this is where I would normally shout "Save the Monorail" but I'm saddened to report that the Metro Monorails have left the mountain... According to "Sir Clinksalot" over at Miceage "Last week, the Metro trains were finally removed from the park. There is no evident work going on near the old station (which was close to the park entrance). Don't expect the Metro to come back. (Link - scroll way down that link for the Magic Mountain update).







I'm due for my annual "May" visit to the Mountain, I need to see for myself if the Metro is indeed gone OR maybe they just sent the Monorails out to get refurbished? Yeah I don't think so either but this is one balloon I really wanted to keep.

2 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

Uh oh, that Metro news doesn't sound too promising.

I am changing my name from "Major Pepperidge" to "El Bumpo".

Anonymous said...

I can tell you with much authority that after a long journey, all three Metro trains (and all of their spare parts) have arrived at a much "SWEETER" destination. Hopefully they (or at least one or two and their parts) will once again ply the guideway. (Just give us a little time!)