Tuesday, March 24, 2009

March 24, 1971 - Day at Disneyland

It’s March 24th, 1971 and you’ve just been handed this flyer at the parking lot entrance. You have two wonderful ways to enjoy Disneyland. IMPORTANT: you better read this thing!





1. Personally Guided Tours. I’ve never done it. I’m not sure about 1971, but in the older Vacationland magazines the guided tours seem to be available on the off season only, which makes sense. Now they run them all year? How can they do a tour on days when there are 60,000 “guests” at the park?






2. Ticket Book Specials. “Maximum Family Enjoyment” folks, it could on happen at Disneyland.






A slightly used, kinda worn, September 1970 Junior Ticket Book, $5.45 for 15 adventures, you do realize that’s an $11.75 value; check the chart above, its true.





Spring Fling ’71. Coming April 3rd (1971) - See: Gladys Knight and the Pipps (go ahead, start singing it, "He's leaving, leaving on that midnight train to Georgia); Dawn with Tony Orlando. It wasn’t "Tony Orlando and Dawn" yet (ready; Whoa tie a yellow ribbon 'round the ole oak tree it's been three long years do ya still want me) Great prizes too. A PINTO, even hot combs!!!






For those of you who like to know wha the park hourswere 38 years ago (Progressland) here you go.






This receipt is dated March 24, 1971, it appears to be for two items and ¢18 tax (5.15 percent?). Department 89? I see sleepless nights ahead trying to figure out what this was for.






This last little item came with the stuff above, its  Me-n-Eds Pizza - Order 119.  I like the “It’s a small world” reference.


5 comments:

Jason Schultz said...

My roommate had to be the "Big Brother" on New Year's Eve (for somebody's first tour) one time--I think it was a nightmare! On my first tour I had one real Guest, one Tour Guide trainer, and three Tour Guide trainees, who mouthed along when I was delivering information from the script.

I think I already have those hours, but it's always good to have more sources!

Major Pepperidge said...

Cool item, weird to see the "closed" days! Dawn with Tony Orlando, huh... it's like the backup singers were the stars. I guess the whole combo was called "Dawn", and Tony got special mention because of his awesome mustache.

Matt said...

Man I am diggin' the art on that Spring Fling flyer...white shoes, flares and Mouse ears...

Disney On Parole said...

I loved Me and Ed's!!!!
Thanks for taking me back!

TokyoMagic! said...

I remember watching Tony Orlando and Dawn's variety show on TV...I was 9 or 10 at the time. Weren't the seventies just the coolest....I also love the graphics on that flyer.

There was a Me and Ed's Pizza Parlor down the street from DL (on Garden Grove Blvd near Harbor Blvd.) It was just torn down a few years ago and it had been there since the 50's. Now a new apartment complex for seniors sits there in it's place. That's progress for you.