Thursday, March 26, 2009

Imagineeringland Today - November 15 & 16, 1997

Imagineeringland Today - November 15 & 16, 1997. I have no idea what this is about other that what you see here. As a Disneyland fan you’d think I would be more up to speed on this stuff. I guess it’s self explanatory, looks like an event for Imagineer’s and maybe their families? The brochure neglects to mention where this event takes place but I guess if you're invited, you'd know where it is.






Hmmm, interesting pictures, I see Test Track on the upper left, that's a fun ride, too bad the poor Rocket Rods didn’t come out that way.






Here’s a close up of the DCA concept art, looks close to what came out, I think.






Lots of fun things to do! I would head right to Bonusland (fun word!) and have a long discussion with the Imagineers regarding the Rocket Rods and the use of banked roadways. Don't they know the coefficient of friction is vmax = m/s = mi/hr = km/hr? Were they nuts trying to use the flat PeopleMover track?. They "imagineered" failure for the Rods by going cheap.





6 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

I have a friend who got to go to WDI for some sort of tour or "family night" or something like that; it sounds like it was the coolest thing ever!

Such a shame that the Disney company no longer seems to value the many talented and smart people who created the attractions that we love...

The Viewliner Limited said...

This is cool!

TokyoMagic! said...

I recognize all of those Tokyo projects...and they all got built except for that Sci-Fi City. I wonder what that was supposed to be.

Your right VDT, DCA did turn out just like the concept artwork.....lopsided!!!! Such a strange and unpleasant layout!

kaliwolf said...

Sci-Fi City was to be a major retheme/rethink of Tommorowland at TDL, whose design was headed up be Eddie Sotto I believe. Try a search for it on Alain Littaye's Disney and More blog. I really think it was the best looking of the Sci-Fi/Retro Future/Buck Rodgers concepts that WDI kept playing around with during that era. Think of everything good aesthetically about MK's New Tomorrowland and imagine it taken even farther. I really think Eddie learned from all the gaffs made with DL's and MK's projects, and made his design the best version, while also completely different somehow. I was never sure why it fell through.

BTW, does anyone know if the art in the top left of the second pic is maybe from Sci-Fi city? My first instinct was that it was for DL's Tomorrowland remake, but I think the timing might be off. The remake was already under construction at that point, so it seems odd they would feature an abandoned concept.

figmund said...

I think I remember this event... It was at the WDI offices in Glendale and was an open house for family and friends.

the Sushi Bandit said...

This is the Annual WDI family open house day at the Glendale facility