Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays from Me to You - December 1970

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all the wonderful readers of my blog. I hope this holiday finds you safe and well, and in good cheer.  

As many times as I’ve been to Disneyland growing up and as big of a fan that I am, you’d think there would be lots of photos of me at the park. My parents have dozens of photo albums from my childhood but there is only one photo of me at Disneyland.

Here is that one photo, me and my family at Disneyland - December 1970. My dad looking every bit the part of his job as Plumbers/Contractors Union Boss, my mom looking pretty hip considering she is only 25 and had to deal with me and my brother constantly trying to kill each other. My older brother is on the left and the silly little kid on the right is yours truly… Blame dad for the hair cut and mom for the clothes.






Werner Weiss’ great site “Yesterland” recently ran a fun vintage Disneyland Christmas update (link) where he posted this photo below. It looks like the same type of white Christmas tree as in my picture above. Thanks Werner!





I’ll be taking a couple of days off for the holidays, check back Friday and this weekend for some new posts and of course, Bonus Sunday.

9 comments:

TokyoMagic! said...

Great family photo...thank you for sharing it! Happy Holidays to you!

Major Pepperidge said...

Lucky you, at least you have ONE picture! I don't have any. Do you know what the round stickers that you are wearing were for? Guided tours, maybe?

Have a great Christmas and a happy new year!

Daveland said...

Looks like a Magic Kingdom Club sticker! Happy Holidays Tim - hope to see you at the park in '90!

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Tokyo, thanks and Happy Holidays to you also!

Major; my mom has about 8,000 childhood photos of me & my brother, LA Zoo, Catalina, Santa Monica Pier, Renaissance Fairs, all holidays & vacations, but just one Disneyland Photo! Maybe because we went every year and lived in Socal she didn't see the significance of it?

Major & Dave; Those round stickers/patches were the main gate pass and "unlimited rides" pass. PHCC Day (Plumbing/Heating/Cooling/Contractors) was not a private party, so you had to show your patch/pass to ride the attractions with no ticket. I think this is why I collect tickets now, I never used them as a child, it wasn't till 1977 that I used my first ticket and it felt weird.

Dave: we have got to meet at the park since we've been there at the same time at least twice (3 times I think). New rule; I'll let you know the day before I go to the park!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday's to everyone!

The Viewliner Limited said...

A Christmas message from Richard on board the Viewliner Limited:

May this Christmas end the present year on a cheerful note
and make way for a fresh and bright new year.

Here's wishing you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Matterhorn1959 said...

Happy Holidays Tim! Thanks for all the goodness you post all year long!

Joakim Gunnarsson said...

I have an original piece of art by Floyd Gottfredson that I've been told was used in a Disneyland ad. http://sekvenskonst.blogspot.com/2008/06/gottfredson-1968.html
Have you seen this? I'd love to see what has been cut off to the left and what the purpose for it was. (I guess Mickey turning 40?)

Chris Jepsen said...

Merry Christmas and thanks for all your great posts this year!

outsidetheberm said...

Looking forward to all the goodies you'll have to share in the New Year! Thanks for the fun posts.