Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Disneyland's House of Horrors

Here’s a fun undated article about Disneyland’s House of Horrors. It’s from 1970 as the article does mention that as the current year. The magazine this is from is unknown as well. It’s on that newsprint type of paper so I’m guessing it was one of those cheap horror magazines. Also, on the back page of this article there’s part of an article about the original Island of Dr. Moreau.










Hello Mr. Hatbox Ghost, odd to see you here. I thought he only lasted a couple of weeks? If this article is from 1970 why feature him? Maybe because he is so darn cool! I still dream about “acquiring” Kevin & Jody’s phenomenal Hotbox Ghost (link). You can see these same photos with “Gracey the Grue-vy” in color at this great website (link) they even have some super photos of Kevin & Jody’s version.






Even when it was new you can tell everyone was aware it was something special.





Why do have the urge to watch the Kurt Russell & The Osmonds?

7 comments:

The Hatbox Ghost said...

I would wager money (if I had any pants with pockets!) that the article is from FAMOUS MONSTERS OF FILMLAND. The dead giveaway (pun intended) are the words, "Grislyland, Karloffornia." The magazine's editor and often writer, the late, great Forrest J. Ackerman, was/is well-known for his turning of words.

TokyoMagic! said...

Great article! I can almost hear E.J. Peaker singing right now.....

Daveland said...

Excellent article on my very fave DL attraction!

HBG2 said...

Famous Monsters, February 1971

Major Pepperidge said...

The Hatbox Ghost and HBG2 beat me to it; "Grislyland, Karloffornia" could only be Forry Ackerman! He referred to his own home (which I was lucky enough to tour) as the Ackermansion in Karloffornia.

The Hatbox Ghost said...

According to HBG2 of the MiceChat.com forum (where I've posted a link to this blog entry), the article is from the February, 1971 issue of FAMOUS MONSTERS OF FILMLAND. More about it can be read at:

http://www.doombuggies.com/media_library_fm.php

Doug said...

This is an excellent find. My favorite attraction as well.