Thursday, May 21, 2009

Disneyland Main Gate Pass - 1978

This Main Gate Pass from 1978 was unfortunately never used, all those smiles that never happened.






Good for parking and Main Gate access at both Disney parks for an entire year, for you and up to _____ dependants or 3 guests. If I’m letting one of my “guests” get into Disneyland for free, they are now officially my dependant.






How about some color? Here’s the summer of 1978 Vacationland with the Main Street Electrical Parade on the cover. I hear the MSEP is getting thousands of LED’s all tied into the new Tinkerbell float at the front. They really need to bring it back to Disneyland, maybe for the 55th???






Is any of this still on the Hotel property? I’m thinking it’s all gone, but I’m really not to familiar with the Hotel, does anyone know for certain?






The artwork on this ad makes me feel like I’m a kid again. Find the kid with the red balloon, that’s me…





Come back on Bonus Sunday for the entire issue.

Speaking of Vacationland magazines, I heard that the D23 website was showing some of the Vacationlands online. How cool is that! In the archives sections (link) they have a “What old is News” section with great posts that use a page or two from a vintage Vacationland or Disney News (link). I wonder if “members” (I’m not one) can get more than a page or two? The archive’s have Binders with the contents of every issue in mint condition, I’ve seen them in person and almost fainted.

3 comments:

Matthew said...

That is a great copy of the Vacationland magazine. I have the same copy from a trip when I was a kid. Great memories and love the site.

Major Pepperidge said...

LEDs in the Electrical Parade, what took them so long! You know they'll look amazing though. Love that stylized map of Magic Mountain; maybe it's because I was a kid, but that park felt less "corporate" than it does now.

TokyoMagic! said...

Most of the shops pictured were in "The Plaza" building at the DL Hotel and unfortunately, it was bulldozed to make way for Downtown Disney. It sat aproximately where the ESPN Zone sits today. It was a three level building but you can see in that photo that the first floor was partially sunken. The model for Westcot was on display for a while on the third floor of that building. I miss the old hotel and shops!!!