Saturday, October 25, 2008

Senior Fun Days & Souvenir Saturday

Don’t you just love the early Space Mountain art work? I sure do. This flyer is from October 25-29, 1978.







Senior Fun Days! I don’t recognize any of the special entertainment except “Lawrence Welk” and he’s not even there in person!






In case you were curious, here’s the back of the flyer.






Now for a neat early Space Mountain Souvenir. Good old GAF Pana-Vue Slides, guaranteed to turn into magenta mush within 2 decades or your money back. I did the best I could with these, which didn’t help a whole lot, but you get a nice vintage look Space Mountain. (Descriptions are from the slide frames)







Astronauts Goofy and Mickey




The Space Port “Launch”





“Out-of-this-World” Adventure





Re-entry




Space Mountain at Night




If you want to see what these are supposed to look like, check out this link, this is an amazing site: http://www.disneypix.com/Pana-Vue/Disneyland/Space%20Mountain/SpaceMountain.htm

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ex-Mouseketeer Bobby Burgess was on the Lawrence Welk Show, and Cissy King was his dancing partner.

Major Pepperidge said...

Great post, I still remember how excited (and a little nervous) I was for my first-ever ride on Space Mountain. It's definitely a "must ride". Something about that queue, listening to all of the "mission central" gobbledegook and seeing the coaster go by (remember that big smoked glass window?) really got me amped up!

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Anonymous, thanks for the mouseketeer connection!

Major, heck yes I remember the smoked glass, I try to explain it to my son when we are in line, he can't understand why they took it out, why did they take it out? So true about the mood the queue lines, still gets me amped up to this day!

Westcot2000 said...

Thanks for the great pictures!

My recollection is that there were three rows of windows. The top was open (yes, open!) and the bottom two had glass (plexi?) for the benefit of wannabe Darwin Award winners.

Space Mountain II uses opaque windows to control the lighting inside the ride. Too bad the Imagineers can't use some sort of magic glass that would allow viewing from the queue without letting light through!