Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Modern Screen - August 1955

Taking a look at yet another Vintage Magazine, this time it’s Modern Screen from August 1955. The Disneyland article inside is fun, but a little short and lacking in details and nomenclature. The rest of the magazine is splendid however; check out some of the articles/profiles down below after the Disneyland pages.







The table of contents, I’ve pulled some of the highlights for this post, let me know if you see something you’d like to read. Yes I take requests!







Who are Marla and Larry and why have they invaded this article on Disneyland?






Neato models, it reminds me of the “Dioramas” we would make in grade school except mine were pretty lame.






Some back stage photos, looks like the park wasn’t even open yet.






Here are a few two page articles or profiles on some of the big stars in August 1955.

James Bryon Dean. Spooky focus on driving fast cars.







If only I could whistle! Kim Novak sure looks, um, well she sure does huh?







This article is obviously mis-titled; it should read “Why I don’t understand my Husband(s) says Liz Taylor".







No wire hangers!!! Joan Crawford's look seems the complete opposite of Kim Novak. I like Kim's look better....







I'm not commenting here, you can add your own caption.





Again, let me know if you’d like to see more of this magazine, maybe I’ll scan the whole thing for Bonus Sunday? Please note the "Surprise Bonus Pocket Pinups" mentioned on the cover are missing from this magazine, rats!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Contents is very good!
Thank you very much for sharing.

Major Pepperidge said...

I think my copy has the "surprise bonus pocket pinups"... if I can find it I will scan them for you! They're just little color portraits of some of the celebrities, I think.

The Viewliner Limited said...

Man what a cool magazine with Pier Angeli on the cover WOW! I liked her a lot. The best of all though is the ultimate "FOX" Kim Novak what a true beauty. Oh yeah the Disneyland article is fun too. LOL.

"Maybe you'll scan the whole thing for Sunday Bonus" WHAT DO YOU MEAN MAYBE !!! Don't you remember I canceled my Sunday paper! LOL.

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Andy, Thanks!

Major, I'd like to see um, plus I know Viewliner would like them too...

Viewliner, I KNEW you would like the Kim Novak post, a true beauty indeed. I already have most of the pages scanned :-) so look for it and more on Bonus Sunday!

Daveland said...

Marla is Marla English, and Larry is Larry Pennell. Both "B" movie "stars" (I use the term "star" loosely). Pennell is proably best known as "Beverly Hillbillies" Dash Riprock. What a cool issue - only 1 month before Dean's fatal car crash. I think you should have posted the Rock Hudson page separately with a caption contest.

Anonymous said...

Hi, can you please, please, please post a picture of the back cover of this magazine. I need to recreate this magazine to use as a prop in a play. The play opens tommorrow night so if you could please post the picture as soon as you see this post, I would REALLY appreciate it.
Thank You.