Thursday, March 18, 2010

Disneyland on August 29, 1957

Let’s take a trip to Disneyland on August 29, 1957. A bunch of great little auctions recently went out on Ebay that were from a teenager who visited Disneyland frequently in the late 1950’s. Most of these auctions had; Parking lot Flyers, shop bags, parking tickets and these great little “notes” kept by the Junior guest showing how much was spent at the Happiest Place on Earth. Well, the first group of auctions have already ended and most were outside of my “kiddyland” price range so all I got was this one – so far. I see the seller has recently added 8 more groups of auctions (link). Hopefully I can pick up a few.

From the group I did purchase, here is the Parking Lot Flyer. There’s our favorite thrifty Scottish Dumbo!






That 1950’s family is so cool and they're so happy they’re gleaming!






Summer hours – Open every day!!!






To me, these little notes are the best park of the group. Our Junior guest was very detailed in his/her spending. There's quite a bit of information on these little sheets.








Here’s the parking ticket with the location actually marked, who does that??? Looks like they left the park and came back later that day.






These are the “notes” from the auctions that have already ended and I did not win. At first I felt bad about “borrowing” these pics, but since I did win one of his auctions, seems like it should be ok.












One of the auctions had this postcard, I'm guessing it's rare since it sold for over $200!!!! UPDATE: Major says this sold for a final price of $566 - WOW!!!!



8 comments:

TokyoMagic! said...

Wow, very cool stuff! Whoever he was, he sure went to the park a lot! I noticed on one of the current ebay auctions his personal list mentions "Sled - 1.00" Took me a couple seconds to figure out it's probably the Matterhorn Bobsleds....hey it's too early in the morning!

TokyoMagic! said...

Now I'm looking at these again and one list reads "animation .40" Did he get an animation cell for only .40 cents???? I wonder what the asterisks next to some of the items meant?

Major Pepperidge said...

Those lists are kind of amazing... not too many kids would be so meticulous. I wonder if he/she grew up to be a CPA or something like that?

I did follow the lot that had the rare postcard, and it went for more than $200... it went for $566!!

Anonymous said...

Congrats to you for picking up the items you have. Must feel good to win an auction.

Thanks for sharing your treasures.

JG

Andrew said...

It's fun that on a few of his trips he was happy to just visit the arcade, get some treats, and ride the skyway over the park!

Brittney said...

I like the notes too! How fun. I wonder what the asterisks next to some of the entries meant. Maybe the things the person enjoyed the most??

walterworld said...

Fascinating...

It's too bad that all of his notes couldn't be kept together in one volume.

What an amazing record from 53 years ago, with provenance to boot!

Thanks for sharing

Jason Schultz said...

Seems like a rather pleasant day to have visited: high of 81 and low of 60.