Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Disneyland - May 1965

Here are some mystery slides from May 1965. This first one is obviously Disneyland’s Center Street all decked out in fresh fake flowers. That sign in the background says “Crystal Arcade, Upjohn Pharmacy, Book-Comic Shop, Glass Blower and Emporium”.






This next shot is the next slide in sequence, but is it Disneyland? At first I thought “no way”, then I saw the Mickey Balloon and what looks like the tip of the Matterhorn and thought “well maybe”, but painted oil drums for trash cans, trash all over the ground and that weird flag (Something Society) tells me this is not Disneyland. Where is this? The Los Angles Zoo maybe?






Well now we are definitely not at Disneyland. I have no idea where this is. A 55 Speed Limit in 1965?






Everyone knows where this is! Jack Lemon and Virna Lisi are starring in “How to Murder your Wife” – classic name for a movie! Nice 64’ Ford Falcon Futura 4-door!


9 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

I love old slides! I was thinking "LA Zoo" when I saw that second one too. Those oil pumps (the "mules") were everywhere when I was a kid in Huntington Beach, wonder if that could be down in that general area?

Anonymous said...

The oil pumps could also be perhaps Signal Hill (Long Beach) or El Segundo. As previous commenter noted, those oil pumps were everywhere in southern California in the early 60s. The 55 MPH sign maybe a non-freeway road?

Anonymous said...

Agree w/ Anon 01. First glance impulse is Signal Hill, near long beach. The black speed limit sign indicates a lesser highway, not a freeway. I think these were called expressways.

I don't remember how i know that, but it "feels" right.

It might also be somewhere near bakersfield, oildale, etc.

Also, my mom loved that flower market, the plastic flowers were not such a turn-off in that era. She thought they were beautiful.
Now, they're just crass, I guess.

Thanks for these pics.

JG

Matt said...

Could be Baldwin Hills, up over La Cienaga between Inglewood and Los Angeles, headed toward the Fairfax district...

Christopher said...

Located it in Google Maps as Baldwin Hills... I'll send you a screen capture via email.

mistryl said...

I agree with Baldwin Hills. There's a stretch of Fairfax which runs between Stocker and Slauson (parallel to La Cienega and La Brea). My softball field in the 80s was on that road, and it looked just like that.

Attempting to link to google street view, try this: http://bit.ly/9jBrMY

Concerts Tickets said...

yah its infomative,thanks for all these

Anonymous said...

@Michelle, how did you do that link? First, its cool to see that you found that location, second, how did you get the link to survive? i have tried to send links to streetview and couldnt make it work.

This is a lot of fun from one photo...

JG

mistryl said...

@JG- Once you're in street view, up on the top left there's links for Print, Send and Link. Click on the link, and it'll give you the street view link you need. It's really super long though, which is why I used bit.ly to shorten it. :)

I love all this discussion over a relatively uninteresting photo!