Wednesday, November 18, 2009

André Tahon - R.I.P.

André Tahon - R.I.P.




Imagine my surprise when I received an email from a puppet. Not just any puppet but from the Great Papotin himself.






However, Papotin was bearing some very sad news… His “Daddy” André Tahon passed away in August of this year.





These are images from a .pdf file Papotin sent me. You can download the original file here (link).









As a tribute to André and his grand puppets, here’s a replay of my post from last July.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two Wonderful Ways to Enjoy Disneyland” from the Summer of 1963.






I’ve never noticed the guided tours being called a “Happiness Trip” before, I bet they dropped that pretty quick.






Do you think Disneyland is open every day in the summer?






Don’t miss this “Unique Special Attraction – Direct from Paris” its Andre Tahon and “Papotin’s Revue”. This show ran only for a few months in 1963, but still managed over 500 shows! Please “Present an ‘E’ Coupon from your ticket book”…






Here’s the aforementioned “E” ticket from June 1963.






Mr. Tahon himself, he looks better than his drawing above. Check out this blog (link) for tons of information on Andre.






And from Jed’s somewhat dormant but still excellent blog, here are two rare promotional items from these two posts on his blog "Vintage Disneyland Goodies". (link) and (link). Be sure and read the comments on those posts, lots of great information.




5 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

That is one smart puppet, knowing how to email and everything. And how to make a .pdf file. You must have posted some Papotin item on your blog. Now he will be looking for you (cue the "Twilight Zone" theme)...!

TokyoMagic! said...

Talky Tina.....?

Thanks for reposting the Papotin info. I wonder if anyone out there has pics of his show in the Fantasyland Theater?

jedblau said...

Somewhat dormant? I really do need to post something new. Anyone know how to scan an Atomobile?

Unknown said...

Hello. I live in France and I worked with Andre Tahon. I have something to add... One of the most famous attractions of Disney parks is inspired by the puppets of Andre Tahon: it's a small world. Andre had told it to me and he also mentions it in his autobiography. His shows were indeed based on the dances and the folk songs of the world. His small characters with childish faces, dressed in folk costumes of different countries, danced and sang. Disney imagineers saw his show when he worked in the park and decided to create a new attraction... With folk dolls!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.