Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Commemorating the Magic of Tomorrow...Today - New Tomorrowland 1999

Today's post is a scan sent in by blog reader "JG", thanks JG! "Commemorating the Magic of Tomorrow...Today". This is an interesting item from 1999, I'll let JG describe it to us: "(it's on) heavy metallic gold paper, embossed with purple and silver ink. The Disneyland and Tomorrowland logos are embossed, as is the compass rose graphic. It also features the printed signature of Paul Pressler, which may reduce the value (ha-ha)."

You can download a high resolution scan here (link - 5mb) the concept art is very good, but sometimes concept art should remain a "concept".





Thanks again JG!

3 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

This is a very nice item, I think JG said it was just handed out to everybody at the park.

Paul Pressler, ugh!

JG said...

Thanks for the write-up, VDT.

Now that I think about it, we may have gotten the card as a "premium" since we did the early-opening Character Breakfast activity with our once-wee children.

Try to resist the urge to use it as a dartboard because of the Rocket Rods.

They pushed that ride so hard as the signature thing to do, so we went. What an awful experience. It's pretty grim when the best part of the ride was the wait in the concrete basement connecting the former Circle-Vision Theater with the basement of the PeopleMover tower. I got to see part of the Park's (former) backstage! The ride sucked. It was the worst visit I ever had.

We did not return to Disneyland for nine (9) years.

Now I'm depressed. I'm going to go read your trip report from yesterday, those always cheer me up.

Thanks to you and the Major for your on-line efforts.

JG

TokyoMagic! said...

I had a similar experience as JG on the Rocket Rods. The queue was better than the ride because you got to see parts of the original bubble-topped monorail, old rocket jets and old people mover cars (even if they were defaced with black paint) I rode the Rocket Rods just one time...it was on opening day...I sat in the front seat and video taped it. After that, I never felt a need or desire to go on them again. My annual pass expired later that year and I did not renew it for another 7 years! They had ruined DL's coolest land of all. Even today, it's still annoying to walk through Tomorrowland and be reminded of the destruction.