Monday, December 7, 2009

Jack and Jill Magazine - December 1961

Welcome to this special Christmas edition of Magazine Monday. From December 1961 its Jack and Jill Magazine. Be sure to check out my previous “Jack and Jill” triple bonus magazine post here (link). Yes this cover is trashed, but the rest of the magazine is in great shape.






This is on the inside over – was this a religious magazine or was it simply OK to have something like this in a child’s magazine in 1961? Don’t get me wrong, I think it’s great, I’m just not sure you could do this today – invoking “Christ” and the “Lord” in a child’s publication. Maybe I’m way off base here, let me know?






The Disneyland article is six pages long and mostly covers the “Parade of Toys”.






I’m not a big parade fan, but the “French Balloonists March” looks pretty neat. And that giant mouse trap is fun too, HEY - they better keep Mickey away from that trap!






There’s those prancing reindeer with that silly expression on their faces; I used to work with someone who always had that same expression on his face! Nice castle shot, I like the toy soldiers up on the castle balcony – I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone up there on the front side? Notice the little ½ domed light on the lawn, my local miniature golf place used to have those exact same lights!






There are no advertisements in Jack and Jill, so how about a few holiday related articles? Here are a few fun recipes – Is it just me or do the characters on these pages remind you of Kevin Kidney's work?






A “Christmas Picture to Color” the child did a pretty good job with the crayons, I never stayed in the lines like that!






Diz and Liz look like they came right from the late 1950’s News Paper Comics section.






Time to test your wits.





The answers can be found here (link).

6 comments:

TokyoMagic! said...

Wow..fantastic pics of the parade! Hey, I was one of those Xmas tree's in the parade one year (on page 11 of the magazine, behind the choir singer's float) No, not in 1961, but in the 1980's! I miss the "Silly" reindeer. They were still using those up until the nineties.

The Viewliner Limited said...

You know I love the magazines Tim. Always cool pics and great artwork. Thanks.

Katella Gate said...

The Christmas prayer at the opening was perfectly acceptable in 1961.

Remember, that the even the Flintstones did the 1954 tune "Let the Sunshine in" in the early mid 60's, and even though that song has a religious content, the show did not have a Christmas theme.

By the mid 60s, fashions had changed. Charles Schultz had to fight CBS over Linus' quote from the nativity story in "Charlie Brown Christmas."

Major Pepperidge said...

Admit it TIm, you colored in those pictures yourself. Jack and JIll magazine, I remember reading some of those when I was a kid. That and the "Weekly Reader"!

Anonymous said...

I remember Jack and Jill magazine, it was always at my dentist's office. I think it was a vaguely non-denominational Christian publication, but not in a Sunday School way, just low-key, like the wonderful grace you posted. thanks for that.

Emailed Vintage Patterns.com said...

When I was in elementary school, in the early 1960's, the Bible was read every morning in our public school along with prayer said aloud by the teacher. That ended when I was in about 3rd grade though.