Monday, January 17, 2011

The American Magazine - August 1955

Welcome to Magazine Monday. For today’s Disneyland related magazine we are going way back to August 1955 and The American Magazine. The American Magazine was in its final year, it was published from 1906 and its last issue was displayed on newsstands in August 1956.





The Amazing Secret of Walt Disney is a very detailed look at man behind the new Disneyland. Have I seen that map somewhere before?





You won’t find a bunch of details about the new park or any photos of it other than the big map. What you will find is an extraordinarily detailed looked at the life of Walt Disney circa August 1955. Of all the magazine articles I’ve posted, this one and the Saturday Evening Post series (link) are the most revealing, lots of reading here, but its good stuff.






This printed text was extra light on this page, I tried to get as much detail as possible.













The art work on the fiction stories is absolutely stunning.












A thirteen year old builds his own Color TV – impressive. To bad there are only a handful of Color shows broadcast in 1955.





Nice choice of colors for this comic.




How about a few vintage advertisements? It’s Making ’55 Famous – For Fun! Indeed!






The Squirt Company, Sherman Oaks, California – wow, they weren't owned by some huge soda conglomerate?





Scotch tape, home repair and decoration! Hey, buy Scotch Tape and when a trip to Disneyland (link)!


6 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

That's a neat article on Walt, I don't think I've ever seen one quite like it.

My mom used to have a bunch of those colored Scotch tapes in a box, and I remember a vinyl chair with at least one repair using the tape!

Unknown said...

This is fab! I so appreciate you sharing it!

Connie Moreno said...

That is so cool! And I LOVE those advertisements!

Unknown said...

I have this magazine it was the year in was born.loved the article on Walt Disney!

Janet Pogue Tolle said...

I am searching for a copy of American magazine, August 1955. Please contact me if one is available.

Janet Pogue Tolle said...

P.S. - If anyone who has the magazine would be willing to email the pages of the Don Eddy article, I’d appreciate it. I think maybe on an email they would be easier to read. I’d like to at least be able to read it. Don Eddy was my great uncle. J