Sunday, December 25, 2011

Family Circle Magazine - December 1957

Merry Christmas Everyone! I hope everybody is having a wonderful holiday. Please enjoy this re-post from Christmas Day 2009; I like this magazine so much (this is the third re-broadcasting of this post) you can consider it a new Christmas tradition here on the blog.

*********************************

Today we have a special Christmas Edition of Magazine Monday. From December 1957 it’s Family Circle Magazine. This issue features an amazing 12 page article “Especially for Children, a Christmas Story about St. Francis” as told by Mary Martin and Visualized by Walt Disney and staff.






The Little Lame Lamb, a story of Saint Frances of Assisi and the first Nativity Scene” is a wonderful Christmas season story, it’s worth taking the time to read it in its entirety. And as you’ll see, the artwork is top notch, wouldn’t it be amazing to own some of the originals?

Now presented in order, in high resolution and without further interruption, “The Little Lame Lamb”, enjoy.




























Oh boy would I like to get this record! I bet the 12 page booklet has all the same artwork as this article just like Family Circle December 1958 and the “Christmas at Disneyland LP”. This must be a shorter story than Christmas at Disneyland as its all on one 45. If I had this record of course you’d be hearing here on the blog.






Before we get to some wonderful vintage holiday advertisements, Family Circle has a memo to its readers. Can you imagine it, they are raising the price of each issue to ten cents?






The ingredients of this fruit cake, minus the fruit, nuts and raisins, sound pretty good. No baking? Chill for two days? What kind of commie cake is this?






That Cookie House looks so yummy! Check out that cool Cookie Carnival Carrousel!






“Paging Mr. Kidney, Mr. Kevin Kidney Please…”






Working together to bring people together” and working to keep our monopoly on the telephone industry.






Fruit Nog, Yummy?






Soft and smooth as linen”. Gotta love that Polka dot box!






These last three advertisements aren’t holiday related but I couldn’t resist sharing. Three of these sauces look excellent, I’ll let you guess which one I’ll pass on.






Some things never change (thank goodness). You’ll find a box or two of Lipton's Chicken Noodle Soup in my cupboard, how about yours? That glass soup pan on the electric burner looks so cool!






Well… This is a family magazine and its 1957 so this must be acceptable to show on my blog. “She dreamed she was lost in a London Fog”, maybe she was dreaming because she was being held and molded by her “talented bra… in the prettiest possible lines”… Was Maidenform a Division of Cadillac in 1957?





Merry Christmas to all!

8 comments:

janet said...

Thanks for a post worth repeating. Merry Christmas!

JG said...

Wonderful. I never get tired of this.

Merry Christmas VDT. thanks for the beautiful post, and all you do all year long.

Best regards.

JG

The Viewliner Limited said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!!!

Kevin Kidney said...

You rang? How did you know that I ADORE those SOS ads? Am I that obvious?
And how could no one have commented on the Maidenform Bra page. EEyikes! I'm going to have nightmares.

Happy New Year to you!

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Hey Kevin, that "Talented Bra" continues to give me nightmares - in the "prettiest possible" way...

*** Happy New Year Everyone!!! ***

Connie Moreno said...

I busted up laughing when I saw that bra!!! Yikes! I am almost tempted to try some of those recipes, especially the fruit cake.

Anonymous said...

You can listen to the Disneyland LP here!

http://mountainearsorg.ipage.com/wm/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=323:step-1002-the-little-lame-lamb&Itemid=12

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

tiffany jewellery said...

Its like you read my mind! You appear to know so much about this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you could do with some pics to drive the message home a little bit, but other than that, this is great blog. A great read. I will certainly be back.