Monday, March 17, 2008

Knott's Berry Farm - The "A" Ticket part 3 - 1977 to 1981


I hope you like Knott's Berry Farm "A" Tickets because this is another mega post! Just in case you missed the the first two parts of this series or if you want to freshen up on the Knott's "A" ticket evolution, here are parts one and two:


Knott's Berry Farm - The "A" Ticket part 1

Knott's Berry Farm - The "A" Ticket part 2


Starting off today this May 1977 "A" ticket has no attraction changes from the May 1976 ticket we looked at in part two, except this is a "Child" ticket and it's an "Adventures Ticket".





Oh, I forgot to mention this in the last post. Starting on the May 1976 ticket Knott's added the letter to the lower right corner on the back of the ticket. Easier to spot for the ticket takers? Fraud prevention? Just being different than Disneyland? I bet it's all of the above.




May 1978 brings some changes to this Adult "A" ticket. The Corkscrew no longer states a minimum height requirement, 8 year-olds rejoice! Knott's Bear-y Tales has traveled down to "B" ticket (Did I mention I LOVED this ride? Did you know it was designed by Rolly Crump?).

A new attraction in Fiesta Village has appeared on the "A" ticket - "Montezooma's Revenge". This "shuttle roller coaster" was one of the first "Shuttle Loopers" and it's still at Knott's today.





This April 1979 has no changes from May 1978, I just dig the vivid Globe paper so much I had to scan it and show it off.





This Adult "A" ticket is from December 1980. Pan for Gold is gone from the tickets. Not the attraction, amazingly I believe it's still there (at a different and smaller location). Pan for Gold probably went to a separate fee at this point. I'm thinking 85 cents was not enough to cover the costs of the staff and souvenir bottle, oh and the gold of course!

The Motorcycle Chase is gone (what a dud!). It's replacement/upgrade the "Wacky Soap Box Racer" was mercifully placed on the "B" ticket from its inception (it was a dud too!). You'll see more about it on the upcoming "B" ticket series.






Moving into Early 1981, Knott's finally downsized there ticket's. Disneyland made this move in 1974. I wonder why Knott's waited so long. Shown here for comparison is the December 1980 "A" ticket from above along with a Early 1981 "A" ticket. I say "early 1981" because these newer sized ticket books do not have a date code, grrrrr!





Here is the Child version of the New ticket size, Early 1981. Knott's has some seriously Vivid Globe paper, they feel nice too (yes, I'm nuts).





The back of the book finally got a new design. I like it, it says 1981 while retaining the "Old West" charm of Knott's Berry Farm. The ticket books seem to stop right here. I have never seen a ticket book newer than these. Does anyone know if Knott's went to a "Passport" system in 1982 like Disneyland did?





Speaking of the Old West, here is a neat brochure from 1975. It's fun! It's also too big for my scanner so you are getting a "Best of" and it's in pieces.






Don' t you just love Concept Art? I do, especially Knott's because it pretty rare.




Here is some concept art of Knott's Bear-y Tales, did I mention I loved this ride??? Check out this to see part of what it really looked like (link). Here's a decent post over at Micechat with a bunch of photo's of this and many of the rides we've been seeing in the "A" Ticket Series (link).





Who knew Knott's had such a rich History in "A" tickets? Next week we start the "B" Ticket series, I'm looking forward too it, I hope you are as well.

6 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

I still can't imagine what is on a "B" ticket, since the Corkscrew, Mine Train, Log Ride, etc. were mere "A" tickets!!!!

The Viewliner Limited said...

This is very cool stuff Tim. I think you are having to much fun doing this blog. I'm glad, because as far as I am concerned, I am enjoyed to hell out of it. Thanks for everything. Richard

outsidetheberm said...

Major, just a reminder that the Knott's tickets had a value in reverse order from the Disneyland tickets - that is 'A' was the best.

And Tim, just for you, we'll go to the warehouse and try to post a special 'Bear-y Tales' post on our site this Friday.

-- But we're a little surprised you thought the 'Wacky Soap Box Racers' were a dud! Loved 'em!

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Major; See what “Outside the Berm” said, but wait till you see the amazing attractions on the Knott’s “D” ticket, such as the Merry-Go-round!

Viewliner; You can tell I am loving this huh? I was told a couple years ago to “get a hobby” well, this is it! I am thrilled someone else is enjoying it too!

Outsidetheberm; OMG. PLEASE post anything you have about “Knott’s Bear-y Tales” I think I rode that thing hundreds of times, it was like a taste of Disneyland at Knott’s!

Ok, the Wacky Soap Box Racers weren’t a total dud. However, they were just new cars on the same track and ride system as the “Motorcycle Chase” and it just never seemed to live up to the hype or the look of the track. Its tubular steel track implies it will be fast and thrilling, and, well, it was slow and boring! I can still remember all that cement around you and wishing the darn thing would go faster. But hey, I was a kid at the time so what did I know! THANKS in advance for the Bear-y Tales post!

Unknown said...

Do you have any more vintage brochures? My brother and I modeled for a Knott's Berry Farm brochure on Dec.11,1978. June 3,1979 we received a copy of it in the mail. It has since been lost of course. Please let me know. thatgirlyc@yahoo.com thank you

Unknown said...

I have alot of vintage tickets