Thursday, November 6, 2008

A Trio of Mark Twain Tickets

Today let's take a look at a “Trio of Mark Twain Tickets” (say that fast five times in a row!). The Mark Twain is truly a functioning antique. There is a certain irony in the fact this 105 foot “replica” is getting older than the “old time” steamboat she represented when she was built in 1955.

From opening day individual tickets were sold for the Mark Twain. I don’t know when they stopped selling them. The Mark Twain was on the “D” ticket as early as 1956 (D ticket link) but I am pretty sure they sold these individual tickets thru at least 1957.

There were three colors that I am aware of, but there could be more. These are beautiful tickets, done in the same style as the early Disneyland Railroad tickets (RR ticket link). These realistic tickets must have added something special to the experience, too bad they don’t have a similar ticket today, even if just for a souvenir.

All three colors:








The backs; I could stare at Globe Ticket paper all day long…






From Jed’s blog “Vintage Disneyland Goodies” here is a day-one Mark Twain ticket with the purser’s check still attached - WOW!






And from “Stuff from the Park” here is an ultra rare shot of the Mark Twain ticket booth. I believe this booth was removed after the Columbia came online, but that’s just a guess. I have never seen a “Columbia” specific ticket - that would be insane!!!!





*** Just in - The Mark Twain on the River this morning around 11am.****



Wow, what a beautiful day at the park today!

3 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

Love those early train and "Twain" tickets! The illustrations and lettering on them are so great.

Part of me wants to say that there was a gray version as well, but I have no proof, and my memory is liable to be faulty!

Anonymous said...

Love those early train and "Twain" tickets!

Hasnain said...

I'm impressed by your collection of vintage Disneyland tickets, especially the ones for the Mark Twain and the Enchanted Tiki Room. You have a great eye for detail and history, and I appreciate your passion and knowledge for these classic attractions. You have some rare and valuable items that I'm sure many Disney fans would love to see.

I enjoyed reading your posts and learning more about the background and design of these tickets. You have a lot of interesting information and trivia that I didn't know before. I also liked listening to the audio of the Enchanted Tiki Room songs, they are so catchy and fun.

Thank you for sharing your amazing blog with us. I hope you will post more of your ticket collection and your stories in the future.

I also hope you will get to visit London someday and see some of the amazing theatre shows here. I'm a big fan of London theatre and I always look for the best deals on London theatre tickets. There are so many wonderful shows to choose from, from musicals to plays, from comedies to dramas. I'm sure you will find something that suits your taste and mood.