Friday, November 30, 2007

The "B" Ticket - Part 4 the 1970's

Now for the final "B" ticket blow-out! This "Complimentary" "B" Ticket is from May 1971. Complimentary A thru E tickets were just the regular ticket, but have some extra printing. They got those cool Stars on the right, the wording "Complimentary" and the famous "X" serial number sequence. I hear these were given to CM's since they could get in the park for free, but they still needed tickets to the attractions. I think these were also given away at hotels/motels, and at the park because? If you know more about these "Star" tickets and how they were used, please let me know!

Comparing this "B" to the 1969 one, you will notice the Motor Boat Cruise is back!

This September 1973 "B" ticket is the last of this larger size. Motor boat is gone again! (See 9/75 below for more Motor Boat mysteries) and Alice in Wonderland has moved up to the "C" ticket, making for a really light "B" ticket. Nice rusty paperclip mark huh?



New size appears in 1974! This "B" is from June 1974. The new size is much smaller, measuring 4 3/16" x 2". (my scans don't show the actual size, not sure how to do that!) This new size is NOT my favorite, you'll see as we get to the CDE tickets, there are so many attractions that the fonts get really small! You can barley read them! Plus they just don't "feel" as nice. This "B" got Alice back, and the Motor Boat Cruise is back again!

OK, here is a "B" ticket from September 1975. MOTOR BOAT CRUISE is gone, AGAIN!!!! I also scanned the back of the ticket book to show the Motor Boat Cruise is not listed!!! Where did it keep going? I know it's gone now (extreme sadness), but what happened over the years, did they just shut it down for entire seasons? NOTICE: The $$$ amount of the tickets are gone, no more 25 cents....

And here is a nice Trio of "B"'s dating from the top down; June 1977, September 1978 and May 1979. You can see for 1978 Fantastyland Theater and the Motor Boat Cruise disappear, then reappear in 1979!!! Also notice the 1978 ticket is good for "One Guest any age" not sure why they did these "any age" tickets and it seems they only appear in 1978. Main Street Cinema is off to the "A" ticket and we now have the BOTH shooting galleries on the"B" (well, not in 1978!)


Here is a close-up of the 1978 "B" ticket. The Globe paper seems extra bold on this one, must have been a new batch!

And just because it's so darn pretty, this May 1977 Knott's "B" ticket. Boy did these hold up over time, clean and vivid, just like new! I'm heading to the "Haunted Shack"!


Well, that's it for the"B" series, that was really fun! Next week - the "C" ticket! And check this weekend for some cool odd stuff.....

6 comments:

The Viewliner Limited said...

Great work and much appreciated. Looking forward to the other tickets. This is great fun, thanks.

Anonymous said...

on the knott's "B" ticket from may '77, the burro trail ride around the calico mine ride was still there? wow, i didn't realize it was still there that late! maybe this is the burro trail that paralelled the stagecoach ride. was there one by the stagecoach? love the knott's tickets, i use to work there (80's and '99-'00) and my great aunt lived right down western ave towards the 91 frwy about 1 blk. away in the corner house on el ferrol. growing up, i could hear the train and the seals from her house, it was cool!

Chris Merritt said...

Cool to include Knott's!

You don't happen to have this first Knott's ticket book from 1956, do you?

http://www.christophermerritt.com/Blog/1956TicketBook.jpg

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

catotx, Chris could prob. answer better, I'm still learning my Knott's History. I wish I could hear the Knott's (Or Disneyland) train from my house!

Chris, YOU TEASED me with the 56' ticket!! I wish I had one of those! I do have Lots-o-Knotts tickets, and lots of old ones (the individual rides tickets too). I'll be posting all my Knott's collection over time on my blog, so keep watching! Thanks!

Chris Merritt said...

In all my years of collecting Knott's - I've never seen that ticket book (the scan is from an old issue of Knott's employee newsletter - 'The Knotty Post'. It is likely the holy grail of Knott's tickets...